Dear FGA Members and Friends,
In just a few days the FGA national conference will convene in Irving, Texas. I must tell you that this year I believe we have an excellent field of speakers and workshop leaders. The theme is “Discipleship in the Gospel of Luke”. This is such an important topic for us in the Free Grace Movement because our theology clearly emphasizes the distinction between what is necessary to gain the free gift of eternal life and the requirements to live a life of discipleship. The gift is free, but discipleship is costly. There has been so much confusion as theologians and pastors seek to blend the two conditions together with the result that the freeness of the gospel is clouded and confused. This confusion leads to a charge of “easy believeism” or “cheap grace”- a charge and a caricature that we strongly reject.
At the conference we will hear from Dr. Dave Anderson, President of Grace School of Theology, Dr. Charlie Bing, Dr. Jody Dillow, Bob Tebow, Dr. Tom Constable, Dr. Brian Fisher and special guest, Dr. Mark Bailey, President of Dallas Seminary. Mark will also be the speaker at the FGA banquet. There are many others who will join us as we seek to examine what it means to live a life of submission to our Lord Jesus.
I want to remind you that the FGA is an Alliance of pastors, educators, missionaries, evangelists, and leaders who hold to Free Grace Theology. We are an Association of Christian men and women who seek to encourage, educate and connect to fulfill the great commission, as we make disciples with a clear understanding of the difference between evangelization and edification.
Many of our members have been busy this past year researching and writing. Let me mention a few new resources to you.
- John Correia has written an excellent primer on Calvinism, Arminianism and Molinism entitled Refreshing Grace Gods Will Our Will. This is a great tool to introduce people to the issue of election and free will and an excellent overview of these theological systems.
- Dr. Jody Dillow has completed his new edition of Reign of the servant Kings entitled Final Destiny: The Future Reign of the Servant Kings. It is twice as long as the early edition (1130pages) and has a complete update of the first edition with many new chapters. Don’t miss this great resource.
- Marty Cauley has finished his massive 2 volume, 1200 page tome titled, The Outer Darkness.
- Keith Krell has had his Ph.D. dissertation published titled Temporal Judgment and the Church- Paul's Remedial Agenda in 1 Corinthians. This is an excellent work on the theology of judgment in the life of believers.
- Mark Spencer has a new book out that provides an expositional overview of theological conclusions regarding evangelism and discipleship. It is titled A Moment in Time and it is an excellent resource to give people for an overview of Free Grace Theology through clear exposition of the Bible.
- G. Gordon Olson has revised his book, Beyond Calvinism and Arminianism.
- The Faith That Saves: The Nature of Faith in the New Testament written by myself and John Correia has been newly published by Wipf and Stock.
- There is also a collection of essays on Free Grace Theology titled Freely by His Grace: Classical Free Grace Theology. The book is edited by Roy Zuck and many FGA members have contributed selections on issues of Free Grace Theology.
There are many other projects that are in process that will also help provide you with excellent tools in your study of the Bible and Theology, and as you seek to lead people into a clear understanding of the issues of salvation and sanctification.
If you are unable to come to the FGA conference we will have the recorded sessions available for you to purchase along with other books and resources through the FGA book store. Let me invite you to browse the store and the website, www.FreeGraceAlliance.com. I think you will find some helpful resources.
If we can help you with theological questions or ministry opportunities please send me an email. If you are not yet a member of the FGA let me invite you to sign up at www.freegracealliance.com/join. I believe that the FGA as an alliance and association will be encouraging to you personally and be of benefit to your ministry.
Serving him with you
Until He comes for us,
Fred Chay, Ph.D.